December 5 2019
Guests: Brian Rodgers, Community Relations Liaison at Mosaic Templars Cultural Center | The 8th Annual “Say It Ain’t Say’s” Sweet Potato Pie Baking Contest will take place at Mosaic Templars Cultural Center, Sunday, December 8th from 2pm-5pm at 501 West Ninth Street in Little Rock. Admission is free to this family-friendly event, which is in conjunction with their Holiday Open House. Participants will compete for bragging rights for the best sweet potato pie in Central Arkansas. There will be a panel of celebrity judges that includes Power 92’s Broadway Joe. First and second place prizes will be awarded in both professional and amateur categories in addition to a people’s choice award. Live entertainment will be performed by local dance groups & musicians. Registration is free. Participants are asked to bring a donated toy for the Say McIntosh Stop the Violence Organization. To register, visit www.mosaictemplarscenter.com call 501-683-3593.
– Guests: Robert “Say” McIntosh and Mrs. Derotha Webb McIntosh | Robert “Say” McIntosh: Arkansas’s Black Santa hosts a Christmas Toy and Luncheon, Saturday, December 14th from 1pm-3pm | Bowker House (Hickory View) 2503 Division Street in North Little Rock. Senior Citizens and children who may not have received gifts this year due to financial hardships will benefit greatly from this annual event. For more information, call 501-960-2468.
– Guests: Battalion Chief John Sawyer of the Sherwood Fire Department | According to the National Fire Protection Association Association, between 2013-2017, U.S. Fire Departments responded to an average of 160 home fires that started with Christmas trees per year, and electrical distribution or lighting equipment was involved in 44% of home Christmas tree fires. Winter holidays are a time for families and friends to get together. But that also means a greater risk for fire. Following a few holiday safety tips will ensure a happy and fire-safe holiday season.
- As the weather changes, be sure to get a licensed technician to service your heat and air conditioner unit to make sure there is not a build up. Do not wait to have this done during the extreme cold weather.
- Choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched.
- Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily.
- Use lights that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.
- Use precaution when using candles. Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
- Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Obtain a smoke alarms & test them. Also, tell guests about your home fire escape plan.
- When cooking, never leave the house with food still cooking in the oven, on the stove, or in the slow cooker.
- Put a lid on a grease fire and smother it. Do not try to extinguish a grease fire with water.